What is regeneration?
[ri-jen-uh-rey-shuhn] Show IPA
2. Electronics . a feedback process in which
energy from the output of an amplifier is fed back to the grid circuit toreinforce the input.
3. Biology . the restoration or new growth by an organism of organs, tissues, etc., that have been lost, removed, orinjured.
4. Theology . spiritual rebirth; religious revival.
Obviously, I’ll be working with the 4th definition. This is where John 3 comes in. As discussed last week, we are born IN Adam and therefore, born in and of sin and are therefore, death, and separation from God. So, how then, are we born IN Christ? Only God can do this. Regeneration is the act of the Holy Spirit being ‘put’ in the body. This is laid out in John 3.
Specifically, John 3:7
7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
But it is also mentioned throughout the New Testament.
One example is, Titus 3:5
5Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
This specifically states that we are not saved by our works, but by his mercy, by the washing, or cleansing, of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost/Spirit.
Next pastor discussed some of the feelings of regeneration. For instance, a feeling of quickening. Quickening is an awakening of life. This is mentioned a few times in the bible: Ephesians 2:1, 5 and Colossians 2:13. But what must first be there is the seed, or the original translation is sperma. The seed of the Holy Spirit is what is planted in us which is a significant part of regeneration.
My pastor believes there are 4 distinct periods observed during regeneration. At this point in time, I can’t disagree with it. I will try to be more observant, to see for myself.
- The Holy Spirit hovers/broods over a person. See Genesis 1:1-2. Happens right from the beginning. As a mother hen would brood over her chicks, He broods over us, to guide us in the direction that we need to go.
- The convicting work of the Holy Spirit. This is when the Holy Spirit starts to work in us to show us where we’ve gone astray. That there is need for repentance.
- The convincing work of the Holy Spirit. This is when the Holy Spirit shows us the truth, what happened, and why.
- The ‘wooing’ of the Holy Spirit. This is when the Holy Spirit presses on our heart on what to do, sends us an invitation to put our faith and trust in the Savior. This is when the alter call becomes your path, your first open statement of true faith.
Pastor commented that when he took that first step, there was no going back. He couldn’t go back. He was full of the Holy Spirit and had to absolutely share.
I’m not sure I’ve felt all 4 of these, as I’ve always felt the trinity in my heart. I’ve strayed, yes. And I’ve repented and work continuously to be right with God. I’m not perfect, but I do what I can to be more like Jesus. I pray daily, several times a day for God to grow that seed in me so that I can achieve this.
What about you? Have you gone through these steps? Are you still going through them?